The Big Squeeze of Vitamin C


Now, here’s an interesting conundrum. For me, at least, but not for most. We’re seeing a resurgence in the use of Vitamin C in the beauty space, but the one place I didn’t think to see it in was in a face oil. Odacité’s forthcoming launch – An Autumn On The World ($149) – makes me look twice at the most ordinary vitamin. See, for me this has been a love-me-or-hate-me vitamin.

My first thought was this review isn’t going to happen as I’ve been an reluctant but avid user of Retin-A, which helps curbs the occasionally painful zit, which erupt without warn. Thankfully, Dr. Kenneth Beer (maker of my favourite face scrub) clarified the concern about mixing up chemicals and said, “You can use both products at the same time following the regimen of Retin-A in the morning and vitamin C in the evening.”

Overkill? Not really. But, being the good beauty blogger I am, I had to try and know.

My second concern was over a wicked breakout from a poorly executed, Vitamin C facial decades ago done here. I’m quite certain the indifferent aesthetician is long gone, but the time-warped memories of those post-facial miniscule bumps (that left my face looking like a terrestrial rocky terrain) still haunt me to this day. Reasons of pride and vanity have kept me away from Vitamin C in any product. But still, I was intrigued when I learned that Odacité doesn’t use any old Vitamin C, but Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, the most advanced oil-soluble version.

Odacité’s research shows that this stable form of Vitamin C is 5 times more potent than other commonplace ones and has a higher rate of penetration into skin, which helps encourage collagen production (Source: Dermatologic Surgery, March 2002, pages 231-236). Colour me intrigued.

The multi-tasking elixir is made from Acai, Passionfruit, Meadowfoam, Pomegranate and Wild Carrot oils. Acai tackles skin’s vital functioning with its antioxidant richness (with minerals and phytosterols). See here for science on the oil’s exceptionally potent work. But, the cute origin story is about the Wild Carrot oil; the cellular regenerator is hand pressed in a small French village. Ouah interj! And, let's not forget that your oil will be made to order, ensuring the freshest batch of oils and vitamins which haven't been sitting around any stockroom.

Scented delicately with Neroli, Rose and Petitgrain, the breakthrough organic formula impresses by bringing a subtle glow to skin that has lost its luster. And, no…I never broke out from the fast-sinking oil.

My interest in Vitamin C has gone from to curiosity to a sense of wonder. Here’s to welcoming the modernized C back to my inner collagen and hope for even more glowy skin.

Launching in September.

Price: $$$$
Scent Classification: Floral
Viscosity: Ultralight Viscosity