An Amazing Grace of an Oil



The softness of the legendary musk set against the floral heart in Amazing Grace by Philosophy is the stuff of mythic proportions. It’s that cult fave everyone likes, wants, or has no matter how old the gal. It’s no surprise to see the the Philosophy shelves at Sephora (and the requisite tester bottles) always empty or close to it when looking for this easy, breezy scent.

There’s a marvelously different character of cleanliness in is this highly feminine scent; dizzying at the start, the floral complexity of Jasmine, Freesia, and Rose with the citrus shine of Bergamot and daring splash of a gentle but clean musk seduces even the most jaded of fragrance fans with a my skin but better comforting finish.

Now, you can layer the scent in oil form; the Amazing Grace Multitasking Body Oil ($28) has that same richness of smell blended in a base of Sunflower, Safflower and Macadamia oils. Philosophy has done a great job of translating the scent into a docile wearable moisturizer that doesn’t lose the original crowd-pleasing shower fresh feel.

The slightly viscous feel is just how I like it – weighty, plumpy and juicy. My legs will so moisturized on the second day of wearing the faintly scented oil, though at the 1.6 ounce size, I’m sure I’d go through the bottle far too liberally on my 34" pins. But, as a multi-tasker, the oil is perfectly sized for use on the hands, feet or seasonal dry spots anywhere.

Sunflower oil has many medicinal and cosmetic uses and may be helpful if you are suffering from acne, eczema, inflammation, general redness and irritation of the skin. Science has shown how Sunflower - with copious levels of vitamins A, C, D and E does improve hydration by retaining moisture and in preventing the skin from drying out, particularly in those with any form of dry dermatitis.  Skip the hair soak with this oil as Sunflower won’t do much for your proteins. Your skin is where it wears best.

The gentle presence of the immediately likable scent is the real draw for me. As one who loves her botanical oils, I truly can’t stop myself from re-sniffing this brightly effusive fragranced one. I know it’s a clichĂ©, but really, I’ve sniffed my wrists and hands far too many times to count by the 300th word in this post. Why?

Skin is nuzzled with a rinsed clean floral scent – sheer, lacy and fine - with a sensual faint trail of perfumey sexiness that is palpable but intimate in scale. Utterly gorgeous. The best thing about the oil is how the scent refuses to turn soapy, which you might see in the perfume version. I’m not even done with this bottle and already want a second one for fear of it being discontinued sooner than I’d like to see. And, nothing annoys a beauty fan more than this evil marketing torture applied to her beloved faves in the name of the bottom line.

Try a slather at Sephora, as you’ll see why it’ll be hard to resist buying up this treat. If it ever gets super-sized (which it ought to be), I’ll be the first in line for that. Until then, the oil and shower gel will do me just fine.

Price: $$
Scent Classification: Floral
Viscosity: Slightly viscous