Between Roses



There’s a saying: “A single rose can be my garden... a single friend, my world.”

That’s how I feel about Aromatherapy Associates. There is nothing wrong this brand can do in my eyes, in my marketing mind, or on my skin. And, I know there are hordes of fanatics who’ll agree with me when I say a rose oil isn’t as easy as tossing the essence into a vat of some hot on trend carrier and call it a day. The flaw I find with most is how they tend to fall flat on the skin. And, a vaguely intimate slather of some Rose lately harvested at the acme of its flourish sitting lazily atop skin isn’t good enough for the huile snob in me.

I say there has to be finesse, suppleness and waft of some inimitable perfumey scent that ought to literally overwhelm the senses on the spot. I’d say Aromatherapy Associates is that one virtuous brand that has this mastery of scale when it comes to suffusing essential oils into every day products.

Renewing Body Oil ($64) is intended to portray the delicate power and irrevocable beauty of the Rose in different ways. Honestly, I haven’t come across such a hauntingly beautiful rose body oil in quite so long, that I’ve forgotten about just how versatile the freshness of this floral can be.

The glorious dusty Rose oil is the 5th ingredient in this deliciously sweet elixir, which means there’s a lot of it. Lady-like, refined and romantic, we see an interesting blend of Geranium, Sweet Orange and Neroli, all sweet and tender in their elegant interplay. What is the standout scent? The memorable warmth is from a strikingly unique balsamic blast of Patchouli, Sandalwood and Frankincense, which impresses as a shadowy oriental underpinning with exuberance. Bringing that kind of zing moment you really want from a scented body oil, the likable result is a deeply dreamy scent that plunges you into the feeling of unearthing a otherworldly attar from some long lost souk you've stumbled into.

An oil can do that? This gently intoxicating treat is one that can and did.

Given the contemporary emphasis on Argan, I’m actually thrilled to see the super skin hydrators Coconut and Evening Primrose oils. Did you know Evening Primrose has one of the highest concentrations of Omega-6 fatty acids? These are essential for cell structure and improve the elasticity of the skin. Personally, I’ve been seeing tremendous results with Coconut oil lately. Hope Gillerman’s Flower Lip Balm has brighten the pout like no other and Saffron James Body Oil has corrected the most severe of split ends. Not only is it mega-rich in Vitamin E content, the oil also has natural germ-killing properties and it can treat a whole host of skin problems. "'Superpowers' are what Coconut oil has." says Dr. Oz.

The semi-viscous oil sinks in nicely with a bit of massaging and leaves a non-cloying trail of a scent that lasts longer than most. The one problem I have with Aromatherapy Associates? Their beautifully crafted oils with their chic, graceful touches make you keenly hungry for more.

Yes, this oil does seem like the only friend for skin you might ever need...

Price: $$$
Scent Classification: Floral
Viscosity: Slightly viscous